- Students will need to bring their suitcase to this meeting. They will drop it off after the meeting and it will be secured overnight in the school. Students will NOT have access to their suitcase again until Thursday evening so please do not pack anything that you might need before then (toothbrush, deodorant, etc.). These items will need to be placed in their "carry-on bag" that they will bring Wednesday evening.
- Parents -- if you signed the luggage search form stating that you will check the luggage yourself and verify that nothing has been placed in there that is illegal, or against school policy (medications, etc.) you will need to drop off the luggage yourself Tuesday evening. If you signed the luggage form stating that we can search the luggage prior to securing it, the student can wait in line to drop off the luggage. Luggage is searched in a private area. Please have the student's name on the luggage and do not lock the luggage.
- After the meeting there will be rehearsals with each of the music groups. Choir will rehearse right away while orchestra and band check their luggage. Orchestra and band will then have a rehearsal while choir checks their luggage. This will help with the flow of traffic.
- Parents - we are looking for water and snack donations! We would like to have water on each of the three buses for the students and also snacks. In the past - chips, cookies, fruit snacks, crackers, trail mixes have been donated (usually from a store like Costco, etc.) If you would like to donate either water or food please bring the donation with you Tuesday night for the parent meeting and we can store it until the next day when we leave.
Departure Wednesday, April 19th
- Students are expected to be in school that day. FCPS policy states that in order to participate in evening school activities, the student cannot be absent on that day. This includes the trip. (This does not apply to pre-arranged doctor's appointments where the student is out for only part of the day).
- Students are asked to be at the school that evening starting no earlier than 8pm. At this time students will have a chance to sign up for a seat on their chosen bus, have their carry-on luggage checked, and have parents drop off any medications that they will be needing on the trip. All of this will be taking place in the orchestra room.
- Students cannot drop off medications -- parents need to drop these off to the parent volunteers in the orchestra room. Parents do NOT need to wait in the student line -- they can cut to the front To help us out, please have the students medication in a plastic zip bag with the students name clearly on the front of it. All prescription medications need to be in the original prescription bottle.
- According to FCPS regulations student are not allowed to self-medicate on the trip. This includes prescription meds and over the counter meds as well. Please make sure that you have filled out a medication authorization form and the "OTC" form for your student. We would not be allowed to give anything, such as motion sickness pills or Tylenol, unless these have been filled out and signed by a parent/guardian.
- The buses are then loaded and hopefully we will be on the road by 10pm!
Arrival, Sunday April 23rd
- Please make sure that parents have their cell phones turned on that morning. We will be asking students to call their parents when we are about 30 minutes away from Stuart. It will be a long bus ride back and so we would like to have parents there waiting and ready to pick up students as we return. If you had medications on the trip a parent will need to pick those up for you.
JEB STUART MUSIC DEPT
*subject to slight time changes, etc.
8:00pm – Students arrive at JEB Stuart HS with medications and carry-ons.
10:00pm - Depart from JEB Stuart HS
· Driver change and rest stop on the way.
Morning - Breakfast stop and chance to change, brush teeth, etc.
@10:30am - Arrival into downtown
. Chance to
sight-see along the “Magnificent Mile”, shopping and lunch on own.* Chicago
1:00pm - Meet at the “Water Tower” and
1:15pm - Walk as group to the Wendella Boats.
2pm-3:30pm Boat tour along the
Chicago River sight-seeing.
3:45pm- Travel by bus to “Wrigleyville” to visit Wrigley Stadium area and the World Series champion Cubs.
5:30pm - Group dinner at Gino’s East Original Chicago Pizza*
6:45pm - Group photo taken at TBD site.
8:15pm- Arrive for check-in hotel (Hilton Suites-Oakbrook)
9:00pm - Evening rehearsal in hotel/snack party.
8:00am- Enjoy Breakfast Buffet at the hotel.*
9:00am- Depart for downtown.
10:00am- Visit the Shedd Aquarium
12:15pm - Load buses for lunch on own. Some options are Portillo’s famous hot beef beef and meals, or Rock N Roll McDonalds.
1:30pm - Load buses after lunch and head to Willis (Sears) Tower
and the Skydeck to take in the city sights from above, including stepping out
on the ghost floor! Tour
3:20pm- Load buses and continue uptown.
3:45pm- Visit the
Zoo. Lincoln Park
5:45pm- Dinner at the Hard Rock Café.*
8:00pm- Night Performance of “Jazz at the
Orchestra with Charles Lloyd” Chicago
11:00pm Return to the hotel after performance and lights out.
7:00am - Enjoy Breakfast Buffet at the hotel
7:45am- Check-out of the hotel. Load buses and depart for downtown
8:45am - Visit Chicago Symphony Hall to work with CSO clinicians and musicians.
Choir/Orchestra students will have clinic while band students are visiting
Choir/Orchestra Students will visit the Park
while band is in the clinic. Groups will have opportunity to visit “The Bean”
sculpture, the Millennium Park and the Pritzer
Performing Arts Pavilion Cultural
12noon- Load buses and head to Navy Pier. Lunch on own. Enjoy the rides and games at the Navy Pier.
2:30pm- Load buses and depart for
o Dinner and change of drivers enroute.
3:00am- Arrival at JEB Stuart HS. This is an estimated time, please be aware that we will ask students to contact their parents when we are 30 minutes away from Stuart HS in case we are earlier or later due to traffic, etc.
*denotes meals included in the cost of the trip.